Thursday, May 8, 2014

My Startup Stress Is Better Than Wiping Ass

Recently I read a Medium post about a man who had started a startup with his buddy. They lived in the same apartment building and sat around one night coming up with ideas over beer, and came up with an idea. 

Sorta like most of us do while we drink. The thing is, they decided to do something about it. Bravo! Doing something about those ideas you come up with while drinking is, the most amazing thing one can do. 

You see almost everyone has ideas, but few actually take the steps to create the idea. 
Those of us who do, are the ones, well, who enter a whole new world of stress! : - ) all in the quest to make something others need. All in the quest to make something that will help others. All in the quest to see if we ourselves, can accomplish what we set out to do. 

This young man and his friend decided to enter a startup competition with their beer drinking idea, and they won! So they both quit their jobs and started building their startup. 

After two years and other funds raised, the stress was taking a toll on this man.
He often thought of the life he had had previously at a great company, and the perks of just punching the clock and working for someone else. He started to think that the world he left had greener grass. A bed to get eight hours of sleep in. A place to do the 40, and have the rest of life all to yourself. But startup life is not 40 hours a week it's 168 hours a week. It's all the time you are awake, and all the little time you are asleep. It's none stop.

So he told his co-founder, it's time for me to say good-bye! He had had enough stress, lack of sleep, loss of family and friend get together's, etc..he was done!

Now I don't fault him at all.
I understand all that. The thing for me is, I never had a great 40 hours a week job. My jobs have always been at the bottom of the working totem poll. My job now is literally wiping ass. Oh yeah, I love my job at the hospital taking care of patients. I dearly love them. I give them the best care, and love a person can give. I stroke their heads with my hand and whisper, I love you, when they are dying, even though I don't know them. I tend to their every need, even the ones who are angry, negative and bitter, who yell at me, mistreat me, hit me, spit on me, call me names, yeah even those people. I love them. They are sick, that's why they are in the hospital, so they can be as horrible as they want to be to me, and I give them love, kindness, comfort, passion, and the care they deserve and need. 

Yet there is one thing about that job that makes me love building a startup.

I hated changing diapers on my kids, and now, I wipe the ass of adults! It doesn't bother me, I can do it. But I don't see myself as wiping ass the rest of my life. I think I have greater gift to give to humanity. And yes, if you need ass wiped, I'll wipe it, if you can't do it. But really, I'd like to kick ass now. I'd like give more people the love I have in me for humans. I'd like to make your life better with my startup ideas. 

So that's why I build startups ~ It is a ton of stress, but I always think, it's better then wiping ass. 

No comments:

Post a Comment