Tuesday, February 4, 2014

5 days on Whisper: You'll Get Sucked Over The Boundary Of Human Behaviors,and That Could Be A Good Thing.

Part of my job is to check out all new or nearly new social networks.
So I zapped Whisper onto my cell and within minutes I found myself overwhelmingly addicted to the silly, the crazy, the sad, the scary, the I can't believe someone said that world.

After 5 days of being entrenched in Whisper, this is my take on it.
The platform's main theme is that a person can share any secret they want, or say anything they want, that they would not normally say to anyone. Yet that's not the only way users are using it.

There are constant post of guys asking “Where are all the pretty girls?” or “I'm bored any pretty girls want to chat?”
"Any pretty girls want to smoke a bowl and hang out?” Then there are the post that run on a code: Hi=chat Hey=Trade.... or something like that. Hi means they they are willing to talk to you but they really want the trade. What's the trade? Naked selfies. Headless of course.

Now it's not just guys searching for hooks ups or naked pictures, there are plenty of girls in there doing it too.
And yes they are trading naked pics of each other. I could get into the rights and wrongs of it, but that's for someone other then I to write about. Personally I have a great BIG open mind and I'm interested in this giant human behavior boundary that Whisper has opened up to everyone.

In these 5 days I am finding the truth about us humans, well mostly the teens and twenty somethings.
Right now those age groups dominate the app. In a few years more and more of all ages will be in Whisper. Hopefully we can keep out the under 18, really it's not a good place for them. But I've seen the young ones on there.

What's the truth about people?
They are lonely, really lonely. This app gives the lonely a social ground to find connection to humans. I think that is a good thing. Isn't Facebook and Twitter, and all those other social networks doing that? Sort of.

The thing about Whisper is, were not just a bunch of people at a cocktail party with rules about what we can talk about.
On Whisper you can jump right into someone's very soul within just a few minutes. Yes I have done it often in these past 5 days. Today I had a lovely talk with an honorable discharged soldier, it was super heart breaking. Yet I hope I helped him/her in there struggle with PTSD. You see it's all anonymous unless if you want to share your male or female. I didn't know anything about the person, and they did not know anything about me, but we shared our stories, and somehow, it's freeing and healing. You can't get that on the other social networks. Sure you can get personal on the other networks, but not like this.

You choose to go to a private message and your in the most personal area, where boundaries and rules, who cares, no one knows it's you, so say what you want. And people do.

I talked to another person and asked how long they have been on it, and they said 5 months. I asked if they felt they were addicted to it, and they said “Yes, I have to force myself off of it". Now I've only been on for 5 days and I feel the same way. I'm thinking I'm going to have to delete the app, or I'll turn into Dear Abby of apps. I can't help myself, I just have to reach out to those suicidal, lonely, lost, hurting people. And I also have to post Dexter Morgan has your number on all the creeps post. And I have to heart all the really beautiful post.

Whisper, what have you done to me? I love you!

Feel free to share your take on it.
~ with love
jana  

No comments:

Post a Comment